Trotro driver and mate who beat police officer granted bail


The commercial (trotro) driver and his conductor accused of assaulting a police officer have been granted bail by the Weija Circuit Court  Friday, March 29.

The two are being processed to leave the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) cells.

Though details of the bail are still sketchy, human rights lawyer, Francis Xavier Sosu disclosed to the media the two have been granted bail.


Francis Buabeng and Albert Ansah, were arrested after they were captured in a video attacking a uniformed police officer at a bus stop around Mallam in Accra.

Reports suggest the driver jumped red light and was pursued by the officer on a motorbike to a bus stop where the officer allegedly assaulted the driver who also got down from the mini bus to retaliate in similar manner.

READ MORE:  AG to be Petitioned by Youths in Komenda to investigate issues on Komenda Sugar Factory

They were arrested and put before the Weija Circuit Court  without legal representation, and remanded into police custody to appear again on April 1.

Human Rights Advocacy Centre (HRAC), which resolved to offer legal services to the two could not trace the whereabouts of the accused person as the various police stations they visited, including the Police CID headquarters claimed not to have them in their custody.

HRAC said, though the Odorkor District Police claimed to have transferred the two from their custody to the police headquarters in Accra, officials at the headquarters also denied receiving the accused persons.

READ MORE:  Desmond Elliot under fire for inaugurating toilet

This caused HRAC to write to demand the whereabouts of the two from the Ghana Police Service, the IGP and the Police CID.

Subsequent to that letter, the Police CID invited HRAC as well as Amnesty International Ghana which also joined calls for the two accused persons to be produced, into a meeting last Friday at which they were informed the two have been transferred to BNI custody.

The Police CID was said to have explained in the meeting that they transferred the two accused persons to BNI custody for their own safety.

more to follow

By | Ghana


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here