The District Chief Executive (DCE) for Birim South, Asare Danso, has indicated that the Assembly is putting in place measures to surmount difficulties the District is faced to bring about development in the area.
Mr Danso made this statement at a town hall meeting organised by the assembly. The meeting was aimed at informing the people about some of the achievement of the assembly for the past three years.
According to the DCE, considering that roads play important role in the socio-economic development of any society, the assembly is working hard to put roads in the District in good shape. This has become pertinent because of the bad nature of roads in the District which gets worse during the rainy season. “The assembly has plans to continue to undertake periodic maintenance and spot improvement works on some urban and feeder roads,” he said.
He added that the town roads of Akyem Swedru, which happens to be the district capital, has being awarded to a contract which the contractor is expected to complete the construction by the end of the year.
School feeding programme
The Birim South District Assembly expects to have all basic schools under the Ghana School Feeding Programme. Presently about 60 per cent of pupils in the District are covered by the programme with 40 per cent more schools expected to join soon. “It is envisaged that all basic schools in the district would be covered,” he stated.
Rural electrification programme
He indicated that under the rural electrification programme, the MP and the assembly has being able to expand electricity to about 90 per cent villages in the area and expect to extend to the the remaining 10 per cent.
He added that it is heartwarming to mention that the Birim South District is currently enjoying relative peace. The assembly authorities are leaving no stone unturned to promote peace within the area.
“The relative peace we are currently enjoying is because the District Security Committee, with the co-operation of members of the assembly, is able to take swift and decisive action to calm situations whenever the need arises,” said the DCE, Mr Asare Danso.
He further explained that under the planting for food and jobs, 124 farmers have benefited from the programme. According to him, 642 oil palm seedlings was distributed to 177 farmers last year .”177 farmers from 12 communities were given oil palm seedlings for free and we are planning to increase it to 50,000 this year ” Mr. Danso said.
He added that plans are underway for the building of a District hospital at Akyem Swedru.