A Deputy Health Minister, Alexander Abban, says the “experts” who were named by the opposition National Democratic Congress to support government’s efforts at fighting the novel coronavirus are welcome to the field.
According to him, the virus is colour-blind, and so any kind of help is appreciated by government.
“The fight is not for NDC or NPP; it is for all Ghanaians. There have been individuals with expertise who are calling to help every day and I refer them to the Ghana Health Service.
“We do not necessarily have to put a tag on them before they can help, so wherever they can assist they should come on board. I do not have any official position but why not? We need all human beings to come on board,” the Deputy Minister said in a media interview.
Former President John Mahama on Sunday unveiled a team of technical experts to augments the government’s efforts at fighting the coronavirus pandemic.
According to the former President, he is willing to avail himself for the campaign against the virus whenever he is called upon. The technical experts announced by Mr Mahama include Nana Kofi Quakyi, Assistant Professor in Public Health/Specialist in Health Economics; Dr Vida Yarkong, Ph.D in Interdisciplinary Medicine; Dr Prosper Akanbong, immediate past CEO of Tamale Teaching Hospital and Physician Consultant; Dr Jehu Appiah, Senior Medical Consultant and former General Secretary of Ghana Medical Association; and Prosper Bani, former Minister of Interior and former Head of UNDP’s Crisis Prevention and Recovery Team for Africa’s.
The rest are Dr Ezanator Rawlings, Medical Doctor; Alex Segbefia, former Minister of Health; Mintah Akando, Ranking Member on Committee of Heath; Professor Margaret Kweku, UHAS; Dr Jonas Asamoah, Public Health Expert, Hawa Memorial Hospital, Osiem; and Mrs Mawuena Trebarh, Communications Specialist.
Health authorities in Ghana are tracking some 575 persons identified to have had contacts with persons who have so far tested positive for the novel coronavirus, which has killed one person in the country. One of them, who developed symptoms, later tested positive, the Ghana Health Service has said.
Ghana has since March 12, when the first two cases were confirmed, recorded a total of 24 cases, with one death.
“All the other 23 confirmed cases are being managed in isolation, and are doing well on treatment,” it said on its website on Sunday.
Seventeen of the confirmed cases are of Ghanaian nationalities while the seven are other nationals from Norway, Lebanon, China, France and the UK.