The government says it is focusing on providing supportive treatment for the 3,505 active cases of the coronavirus in the country.
It is also working to reduce the number of new cases, as an integrated strategy in its total testing, tracing, and treatment onslaught against the pandemic.
The strategy, according to the government, offers more hope in dealing decisively with the pandemic in the present circumstances.
Currently, Ghana’s active cases stand at 3,505, out of which 18 per cent of the patients are symptomatic (showing signs) while the remaining 82 per cent percent are asymptomatic (not showing signs).
The symptomatic patients comprise of 26 persons in severe condition, eight in critical condition and four on ventilators, while the asymptomatic patients are treated at home.
Speaking at a press briefing yesterday to update the public on the status of Ghana’s COVID-19 cases, the Director-General of Ghana Health Service (GHS), Dr Patrick Kuma-Aboagye, said that much attention would be given to the symptomatic cases.
This, he explained, would clear the current backlog of 23,000 coronavirus test samples and help the experts avoid perpetuating further backlogs.
Dr Kuma-Aboagye said a test result that is released in two weeks, after the sample is taken, has very little public health and clinical relevance.
“In order not to perpetuate further backlog, we are currently going to focus on symptomatic cases, that is those who come sick, and will be given priority in terms of testing,” he said.
He added: “We will focus also on the contact of confirmed cases; exposed health workers and students will be given priority in our test; and returnees will also be given priority, so that we can be sure of their safety when they arrive”.
The GHS Director-General added that even though the aforementioned have been considered, among those identified in backlog cases, there is a special test for suspected COVID-19 deaths.
He said the country is isolating all positive cases, adding that the government is not taking chances and that everyone who is taken to an isolation centre is being managed as though they are sick even before their test results come out.
That, he insisted, is how unique Ghana’s structures and strategies are, as far as fighting the pandemic on the continent, and even at global level, is concerned.
Ghana’s active coronavirus cases now stands at 3,505. This is because from the cumulative number of 28,989 from March 12, 2020 till date, there have been 25,331 recoveries, with 153 deaths.
The GHS Director-General said the recoveries account for an encouraging 84.7 per cent of all cases reported.
So far, the total number of tests conducted is 353,752.