The flagbearer for the opposition party, National Democratic Congress (NDC), John Dramani Mahama has promised to embark on two major sporting infrastructure among other minor projects if voted into power.
In the party’s manifesto reading on September 7, 2020, at the University for Professional Studies, John Dramani Mahama outlined a significant number of sporting infrastructure he will undertake.
The NDC captured the following points regarding sports in their manifesto:
- Develop specific Sports Centres of Excellence in the three geographical zones of Ghana
- Develop a strategic framework for the construction of stadia in all districts across the country to scout for sports talents
- Upgrade the Winneba Sports College into a state-of-the-art Sports University with campuses in selected regions to enhance the human resource base and development of sports in the West African sub-region to provide opportunities for training and capacity building in sports management and administration as well as sports management and science.
- Continue and complete the New Edubiase Stadium started by the NDC Government
- Establish sports recreational facilities in communities in every district.
- Use the Sports Development Fund to assist the Sports Associations to provide and improve remuneration and welfare of local sportsmen and women
In February 2018 Mr. Eric Nkansah Dwamena, Director of the National Sports College in Winneba told Citi Sports that a renovation project worth an accumulated amount of USD 1.2 million has been called off due to the failure of the state to raise a portion of the stated sum.
This project is what NDC’s John Mahama has promised to complete in order to aid the promotion of sporting activities in the country.
The New Edubiase Stadium, also known as the Gyamfi Park on the other hand is a part of Mahama’s major sporting infrastructure promise.
The project which began in 2016 stalled due to finances. However, Minister of Youth and Sports, Isaac Asiamah in June 2019 affirmed the reports and said that the project would be redesigned by architectural experts within the next two weeks to ensure that it meets the required standards.
However, according to checks by Citi Sports, the facility has been abandoned once again.
All these projects according to Mahama, who is seeking another four-year term, are geared towards the enhancement of sports, its promotion, and the provision of improved remuneration for sports persons.