At the Electoral Commission’s Let the People Know Forum on Monday, October 19, 2020, the returning officer for the Presidential Election, Mrs. Jean Mensa, announced that out of the 17 presidential nominees, 12 were cleared to contest in the upcoming December 7 elections whiles the remaining 5 were disqualified on technicalities.
2 candidates, Kofi Koranteng and Marricke Kofi Gane, out of the 5 disqualified were independent candidates whiles the remaining 3, Akwasi Addae Odike of the United Progressive Party (UPP), Kwasi Busumbru of the People’s Action Party (PAP), and Nana Agyenim Boateng of the United Front Party (UFP) were political party-sponsored nominees.
The EC explained that the GHS100,000 filing fee of the disqualified candidates will be refunded in line with the rules surrounding the process.
3 out of the 12 cleared candidates are females whiles the remaining 9 are males. There is also 1 independent candidate among the presidential hopefuls:
They are as follow:
- Alfred Kwame Asiedu Walker – Independent candidate
- Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo – NPP
- Christian Kwabena Andrews – GUM
- Brigitte Akosua Dzogbenuku – PPP
- John Dramani Mahama – NDC
- Akua Donkor – GFP
- Nana Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings – NDP
- Hassan Ayariga – APC
- Ivor Kobina Greenstreet – CPP
- Henry Herbert Lartey – GCPP
- Percival Kofi Akpaloo – LPG
- David Asibi Ayindenaba Apasera – PNC