As we edge closer to the 2024 elections, the selection of a presidential candidate plays a central role in shaping the chances of our great party at the polls and, consequently, the future of our nation. One individual who emerges as an exceptional choice to lead our party is none other than Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia who has distinguished himself as a leader and true patriot. This piece aims to outline 12 compelling reasons why Dr. Bawumia should be chosen as the NPP’s presidential candidate.
1. His sterling performance at the Supreme Court in 2012 that led to a massive electoral reform in the country.
2. His evidence based electioneering campaign in 2016 that saw us coming out victorious. I remember the 170 questions that are yet to be answered by the NDC.
3. Mahama as the NDC candidate makes Bawumia’s Presidency to be easier as this election will be termed as “who is who” at the North. The 5 Northern regions and the Zongo communities of Ghana will be a battleground. We should remember that since Bawumia became the vice-presidential candidate, our performance in the 5 Northern regions and the Zongo communities have increased. Thus, from 2008 our votes keep increasing and we have won many seats in the 5 northern regions.
4. Our strongholds; Ashanti and Eastern Regions will vote massively for Dr. Bawumia.
5. In Greater Accra and Central Region, Dr. Bawumia will beat John Mahama as he has a record of evidence electioneering campaign. It will be his record as Vice President against Mahama’s abysmal record of Mahama as Vice President and President.
6. Western, Oti, Bono East, Western North, Ahafo, and Bono will go for Dr. Bawumia as he as a track record of giving a clear message and, he is very competent, passionate, and incorruptible.
7. Dr. Bawumia is the unifier candidate among all the candidates. He has worked and studied with former President Kufour and currently working with President Akufo-Addo. He’s the most experienced among the candidates and I believe if given the mandate he will uplift the image of the country.
8. His humility makes both the rich and poor love him. He comes down to the level of the less privileged in the society. Dr. Bawumia is giving Father Campbell a massive support. Father Campbell is the coordinator for the leper center in Ghana. In one of his duty tours, he encountered a rejected woman who was a leper in the Wa West District in Upper West region where he built 2-bedroom apartment for the woman because she was living in a mud room. Such can’t be said of others who are equally privileged to help the needy but refuses to do it.
9. He is accepted both internationally and locally as well as all the religious groups in Ghana. Let’s remember that among his siblings 9 are Christians and 8 are Muslims. He will not do anything against the religious groups. He is a patron of Methodist Brigade and can unite all the religious groups.
10. He sacrificed his young family by resigning his appointment as Resident Representative of the African Development Bank for Zimbabwe by the African Development Bank and came to join the campaign for the sake of Mother Ghana and that is a huge sacrifice he made for the party. We are aware that other candidates also had a similar appointment but refused to resign to come and help the campaign. Why today?
11. Dr. Bawumia’s wife, Her Excellency Hajia Samira Bawumia is an additional tool to our victory. We know her track record when it comes to campaigning. Dr. Bawumia is the only candidate who can easily beat the John Mahama and the NDC.
12. Dr. Bawumia’s digital agenda is a very important agenda which will transform all sectors of the Ghanaian economy.
Danny Opoku Antwi
(NPP-USA Branch Youth Organizer)