17th May 2024

The Electoral Commission (EC) has denied reports making rounds that the planned compilation of the new voters’ register has been cancelled due to the outbreak of the coronavirus.
According to the EC, plans are far advanced for the successful take-off of the registration process.
This was contained in release signed by Sylvia Annor, the Acting Director of Public Affairs at the Commission.
The elections management body said in view of the ban imposed on public gatherings by President Akufo-Addo, a new date for the registration will be announced.
The compilation of the new electoral roll was scheduled for April 18, 2020.
“The Commission wishes to assure the general public that it is taking the necessary steps to guarantee the safety of the citizenry and safeguard them from the virus,” the EC said.
It gave the assurance that it would put in place concrete measures, including providing sanitisers at all polling stations and providing a conducive atmosphere at all registration centres, in a bid to protect citizens from the virus.
“The public is entreated to prepare for the upcoming Voters’ Registration exercise,” the EC stressed.

Massive turnout

The two leading political parties, the ruling NPP and opposition NDC, have all tasked their supporters to turn out in their numbers to register.
The National Organiser of the NPP, Sammi Awuku, in a recent visit to the northern sector, visited several communities and youth groups to interact with them and drum home the need for them to go out in droves during the exercise.
Mr Awuku also took the opportunity to impress upon the people the need to work hard at retaining President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo and the NPP in power.
He made a strong case as to why the electorate must ensure that the President gets another four years to continue with his pragmatic development agenda for the Ghanaian people.

The NDC, on the other hand, after initial protest, says it will not stop members of the opposition party from partaking in the exercise.
A former Deputy Minister of Employment and Labour Relations and a member of IPAC, Baba Jamal, last week, indicated that the NDC will not stop its members from taking part in the registration exercise, even though the party had earlier protested against the exercise.
“We will not stop our people from registering even if we think that is the right thing to do. If you will remember, we advised against the Ghana Card, but we didn’t stop people from registering. Now go to the grounds and see,” he said.

SOURCE: Daily Statesman

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *